My camera gear. . .

This has been the most amazing, insane, creative, blessed and amazing (yes, I said it twice) year of my entire life!

Almost exactly a year ago Trey surprised me with my very first DSLR camera.  HE was SO excited for me to have it he had me open it two weeks before Christmas.  The very next day I photographed my eight month old little RyAnne and my two nephews, Taylor and Jason.  And then I pulled the images up on my laptop (all 1500!) and was kinda devastated at how bad they looked.  Eek.  I was pretty terrible.  Granted I had NO clue that only two months later I would start my photography business - kinda scary, huh???

I was totally overwhelmed with ALL of the options my new camera had on it.  The manual was like an inch thick, ok not really an inch more like a quarter of an inch, but they talked (as if it spoke to me) about things like ISO, shutter speed, aperture value, white balance, depth of field. . .holy moly!
I just wanted to understand it all at once!!!!


I really dove into my manual and I googled EVERYTHING trying to make since of it all!  I began following other photographers on Facebook and read their blogs.  I still do this!  I photographed in all of the automatic settings.  You know the ones that are shaped like a flower, a person, a stick man running, a mountain with a cloud above it. . .all of those.  I photographed this way for about the first six months after starting my business in February.  Then I realized how much more control you can have when you photograph in the manual mode and I purchased a new lens.  The 50mm f/1.8 made a huge difference in my portraits.  They looked awesome!

Below is the Canon Rebel T1i (my 2010 Christmas gift from Trey!) and the lens that came with it - the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.


For mother's day Trey surprised me with the 55-250mm f/4-5.6.  I had just returned from photographing a surprise 80th birthday party for a client and he had it wrapped up waiting for me!  He also made me mocha chino cupcakes from scratch!!!


This last lens is what I believe changed my work forever.  The 50mm f/1.8.  AHHH-mazing!!!!  I photographed a session with my friend Ashleigh and she let me pop this lens on - the depth of field was gorgeous - the crispness of my focal point was to die for.  It all seemed to be coming together once I purchased this lens and I started perfecting using it.  I felt like I was really beginning to understand what my camera's manual was telling me.


My business really started to flourish!  My work was looking better and better as I only photographed in manual mode.  I began to figure out the importance of metering the light to the skin as apposed to the sky and when using a lower f/stop you have to make sure to bring it up when photographing more than one subject.  But when you bring up your f/stop you have to make sure to lower the shutter speed or bump up your ISO to correct the exposure.  Vuwalllaaa!  Seriously, it made since to me!  Finally!!!!

So, now it was time to spend the big bucks and upgrade!!!  I was pretty terrified in spending this huge chunk of mullah on a camera I had not ever touched before.  But it is what my photography idol uses so I knew it was the very best!


I introduced y'all to Miss D. back in August of this 2011 year.  Unfortunately all but one of the lens that I collected for the Rebel fit Miss D. My 50mm f/1.8 - Thank God!  Once she arrived at her new home I had to figure out why I spent SO much on her.  I put the 50mm f/1.8 on the Rebel, locked in my settings and took a photograph of the kitchen table.  Then I put that same lens on Miss. D. while standing in the very same spot using the kitchen table as my focal - WOW!  The full frame that Miss. D. allowed, more options with the ISO and. . .I could go on and on and on about the differences.  Once I started using this camera I realized I made the correct decision in my purchase.

It took a little time to get used to using my 50mm f/1.8.  I noticed if I was just a hair off my focal point the entire photograph was a blur.  When you use a lens with a lower f/stop you have to hit your target!  So, practice made perfect and then I upgraded to the 50mm f/1.4.  I have not used the 50mm f/1.8 since I purchased the f/1.4 - except to take the below photograph!


I hope this is helpful to all of y'all with new cameras or cameras you are still figuring out!  Here lately a lot of my clients have been asking for information on what camera and/or lens to purchase as gifts.  Please feel free to ask me questions.

Hope y'all had a very merry Christmas!
Love.
H.

Comments

Popular Posts